Sunday, July 3, 2011

Souly Butter Kitchen

One day, YP sent me a link about a small cakery in Kemang named Souly Butter Kitchen. After reading about it (and I’m easily tempted with pastries), we decided to try it that weekend. The article said that the place was small and had limited seating which could only accommodate approximately 15 people.  Hence we booked for seats, just in case the place was full.
Souly Butter Kitchen was located right across Kentucky Fried Chicken Kemang.  Entering the place, I was shocked a little, the place was smaller than I thought. I don’t think it’s even enough for 15 people (well, maybe if all of those 15 people were slim and sat crammed). When I confirmed about my reservation, the waiter seemed confused and there were no seats with the ‘reserved’ sign. It’s quite disappointing that they missed about the reservation.
The place was nice though. It looked like small painted white kitchen decorated with sofas and colorful cushions.  Red velvet cupcakes, black forest cake, caramel éclairs and buche were displayed on the kitchen table. It was a nice and tempting display. Unfortunately, I don’t think they were baking when we came, because I did not smell any cakes baking in their oven. I love the smell of freshly baked cakes.

The Displays

The recommended menu was carrot cake but they did not serve it that day, thus we decided to order a red velvet cupcake (20K) and a caramel éclair (25K). We did not order the buche  because we had lots of chocolates the day before. However, we could not resist ordering Valrhona ice chocolate (35K) for drinks.  We could always find excuses for Valrhona anyway.
I love the color of the red velvet cupcake, a tempting red, but the topping was a bit messy. I expected a cuter cupcake with pretty topping just as they pictured in the brochure. You can choose between cream cheese or mascarpone to be spread on your red velvet. We prefer a lighter taste, so we chose the mascarpone. Though the cupcake was too dry, the sweetness level suited me well.
Red Velvet Cupcake

On the other hand, the caramel éclair was too sweet for my taste bud. The look of the caramel éclair was also less attractive. In a glance, it looked like fried banana. I prefer the traditional chocolate éclair with a little infusion of rhum (I know, we mention a lot about the rhum, we just love it).
Caramel éclair

The Valrhona ice chocolate was quite delicious. They served the sugar separately. I like this kind of serving because I can adjust the sweetness level by myself. I had the drink without adding sugar, which could make me taste the chocolate better. They were quite generous with the chocolate. The drink had a rich chocolate flavor. For a chocolate lover, this drink could be a delightful option.
Valrhona Ice Chocolate

For such a nice and homey little place, it was a little disappointing that they did not forbid the guests to smoke. There were these other guests that smoke a lot. It was a small closed place, thus the smoke filled up the room and caused a disturbing suffocation. Another guest, which was a foreigner family (with a child), complained to the waiter about this but the waiter didn’t warn the guests who were smoking. I think the waiter might be afraid or hesitate. Ahhh well it was a little beyond their control anyway, but I think it would have been nicer if they could be stricter. Despite that smoking thing, this place was nice to chill. I won’t mind revisiting this place and try their other menus.

Summary:
Food: Average

Ambience: Average
Value: Average


Souly Butter Kitchen
Jl. Kemang Raya 15A

Tel: 021 719 9985
Twitter: @soulybutterkitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment